[Keep It Ventilated]

A healthy home is a home that is well ventilated. Ventilation in the home reduces moisture that can lead to mold while pulling out polluted air and replacing it with fresh air.  Pollutants are 2-5 times higher indoors than outdoors. Proper ventilation can reduce the hazards of volatile organic compounds, moisture, environmental tobacco smoke, particulate matter, allergens, mold, carbon monoxide, and formaldehyde.

Homes that have combustion appliances such as gas stoves or gas water heaters run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning that can lead to headaches, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and ultimately death.  Even homes without gas appliances can be prone to carbon monoxide poisoning when garages are attached to the house (i.e. car exhaust entering into the home).

Bathrooms and kitchens should be equipped with proper exhaust ventilation to draw out stale and moist air from showers and cooking that can lead to mold and related air quality issues.

Proper ventilation controls the effects of VOC’s and formaldehyde in the home that is often present from the use of harsh chemical cleaners, new furniture, paints, and other sources.