[Mold in the Home]

Mold poses serious health risks to those with respiratory issues.

Molds are simple, microscopic organisms found all throughout nature (outside and even inside your home right now). Mold spores are very tiny and lightweight which allows them to travel through the air, thus making mold an inhalation risk.

Indoor mold can often be seen in the form of discoloration on walls or building materials, ranging from white to orange or from green to brown/black.  When mold is present in large quantities in a home, it can cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks or increase asthma symptoms, infections, and other respiratory problems.

While much of the mold in the world comes from the outdoors, mold spores primarily cause health problems when they enter the air and are inhaled in large numbers. People can also be exposed to mold through skin contact or ingestion. Exposure to high levels of mold spores can cause you to develop an allergy to the mold while left untreated can even lead to structural damage to your home.

Exposure to indoor household mold is not healthy for anyone inside the home, especially when the indoor air is constantly recirculated with the same stale indoor air and fresh air is never introduced into the air supply. Children, the elderly, pregnant women, individuals with existing respiratory issues (such as asthma, COPD, multiple chemical sensitivity, or allergies) and those with compromised immune systems are at the greatest risk for the adverse effects of mold exposure in the home.

For mold to grow it needs 1) a food source such as leaves, wood, paper or even dirt and 2) a source of moisture.  Mold can usually be found present around current or previous water damage within the home, often visible underneath materials where water has damaged the surface or even behind walls. Unless the source of moisture is removed and the contaminated area is cleaned and disinfected, mold growth is likely to reoccur.