Healthy Homes AZ is your only source in Phoenix to help you locate and buy healthier housing options for Phoenix area home buyers. With a focus on helping you buy a home that factors the comfort, savings, safety, and health for you and your family, Health Homes is a partnership between Green Leaf Realty, LLC and Green Home Advisors, LLC to help Phoenix area home buyers buy right from the beginning to the closing through education, testing, and advising, at no additional cost to you, the home buyer.
How can a home affect my health? With Phoenix home owners spending roughly 70% to 90% of their time indoors, your home has a direct affect on your health. Have you ever considered where the fresh air inside your home comes from? Do you know how things such as new carpet and paint in a home release toxic gases that can trigger asthma attacks and lead to respiratory distress? How can 15 year old AC system affect your pocket book?
But, that’s how homes in the Phoenix area are built; there’s nothing I can do about it, right? Wrong! Healthy Homes focusing on helping you find a home in the area and price range that you want and helps you make it healthier for you and your family.
How do you make a home healthier? Using the principles of a healthy home, Healthy Homes focuses on three major areas that will have both a short term and a long term effect on you: 1) Energy Efficiency, 2) Indoor Air Quality, and 3) Safety.
- Energy Efficiency: Your home will be evaluated and tested on how energy efficient it is, including looking at performance metrics like air leakage, the air conditioning/heater, the duct work and how leaky it is, testing doors and windows, etc.
- Indoor Air Quality: Your home will be checked for factors in the home that can lead to you having an asthma attack or worsening allergies problems. The home is tested for adequate ventilation, including identifying fresh air sources, evaluated for ways to mitigate indoor air pollutants such as mold, formaldehyde, and VOC’s, and assessed for strategies to help improve the indoor air quality after you move in.
- Safety: While listed last, safety is the most important evaluation of a healthy home assessment. Do your appliances off-gas toxic gases that could poison your family? Are there hazards and conditions that can lead to accidents in the home or visits to the hospital?
Surprisingly, many of these assessments and tests are NEVER considered when buying a home in the Phoenix area but become blatantly important to you after you move in. While home inspectors provide in depth information about the home, there are many areas involving safety, efficiency, and indoor air quality that are outside of the scope of their home inspections that can have a significant impact on the comfort, savings, safety, and health of the home you are buying. Why wait until after you move when you have the opportunity to find the right home for you and your family through Healthy Homes?
I can’t afford to fix anything right away; I’m barely scraping by to get into a home in the first place. How can I pay to make my home healthier? Healthy Homes is designed to help you maximize your ability to qualify and identify ways to incorporate the costs of fixing/replacing/improving the home you are buying into the home buying process so that you do not have to come out of pocket any additional money.
How does the Healthy Home program work? Healthy Homes is a three phase process that incorporates education into the home buying process:
- Phase 1 focuses on teaching you about common health issues in the home and how these unhealthy factors can affect you and your family. Also, we will help you identify if you are eligible for any grants, rebates, and financing programs.
- Phase 2 helps you identify, negotiate and evaluate homes to buy, looking at the range of healthy and unhealthy homes based upon your financial requirements, your personal needs and wants, and the availability of eligible homes. This is the phase where we get in the car and go look at what is out there for you. Once you have a contract to buy a home negotiated to the terms that you are satisfied with, we will evaluate and test the home during the home inspection phase of your purchase contract. The Healthy Home Assessment, when used in conjunction with a home inspection, will help you identify any eligible health, safety, comfort, and home performance improvements that can be wrapped into your loan or corrected by the seller prior to closing.
- Phase 3 wraps up the process of buying a home and finalizing any necessary steps to close on the sale of your new home and finish up any improvements needed to make your new home healthier.
What kind of improvements can make my home healthier? There is such a wide range of options that you can do to make your home healthier. Often times, we will see simple improvements in the Phoenix area such as air sealing, duct sealing, and adding insulation to the attic have a significant impact on the comfort and performance of the home. Sometimes the home will need a new air conditioner and depending upon the type of options you qualify for, you may be able to have a high performance AC system included into the program (which if the seller is paying for, for example, will be a lot cheaper than having to front the cost years down the road). Until you find that right home to buy and we conduct a Healthy Home Assessment, it is hard to say what you will need to do to make your new home healthier.
Do I have to be a first time home buyer to be eligible for a Healthy Home? No. Healthy Homes is open to any Phoenix area home buyer, whether you are buying your first home or your 50th home, all home buyers are eligible to participate in Healthy Homes. I would note that certain financing programs, rebates, and grants do have qualifying restrictions that could include income restrictions, home ownership restrictions, and other factors that may restrict the eligibility for those specific programs however Healthy Homes is open to all home buyers.
I’m looking to buy a home outside of the Phoenix metro area, am I still eligible for the program? There are limits to the areas served by the Healthy Home program. Contact Rob Madden with Green Leaf Realty, LLC directly at 480-888-1234 to find out if you are within the program boundaries.